This is a classic preparation, re-imagined by Sabrina. Since we're on a veggie kick (Our 30-Day Veggie Challenge), she wanted to keep the dish as hearty as possible with the use of mushrooms. We love mushrooms, and it makes it a lot easier to substitute the meat in a dish, if one does. Anyhow, this casserole is basically built like a lasagna, but instead of pasta, it utilizes corn tortillas dipped in verde sauce. Layer it up with a pleasant mix of beans, cheese and mushrooms, along with some chard to round out the nutrition, and you will have one satisfying dish! her tomatillo verde sauce is REALLY REALLY good too.
Start by making the Tomatillo Verde Sauce:
- 10-12 tomatillos, quartered
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 large pickled jalapeños, seeded and roughly chopped
- 6 pickled carrot slices (Using either fresh or store bought pickled jalapeños and carrots found in the Hispanic section)
- ¼ cup pickling liquid
- 2 Tbls Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp honey (more if needed, to taste)
Place all ingredients except ¼ cup of cilantro and honey in a slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours.
Blend slow cooker contents with a hand blander, or put in regular blender. Add reserved 1/4 cup cilantro and 1 tsp honey, and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reserve verde sauce and keep warm.
Time to layer up the Enchilada Casserole:
- 1 bunch rainbow chard, stems removed and reserved, chopped (chop stems separately)
- 12 cremini mushrooms, diced
- ½ cup dried porcini mushrooms, reconstituted in 1 cup hot water for 60 min. (Strain and reserve 1 cup "mushroom broth", as well as rehydrated mushrooms)
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbls EV olive oil
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper
- 1 ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ cup white wine
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- 3 cups grated cheese, Monterey Jack and cheddar mix
Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat EV olive oil in a large pan. Add onions and chard stems, and cook until soft, about 5 min. Add garlic along with creminis and rehydrated porcini mushrooms, and cook for 2 min. until the mushrooms are just tender and garlic is fragrant. Add the beans, Aleppo and cumin. Stir to combine and heat the beans while toasting the spices. Deglaze with white wine, and reduce by half. Add the reserved mushroom broth and reduce by half. Season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Coat a baking dish with butter or cooking spray. Spoon 1/4 cup verde sauce in bottom of dish. Dip tortillas in warm verde sauce and lay a single layer in the dish, and add 1/2 cup veggie mix, then a little more sauce and a layer of cheese (about 3/4 cup). Repeat the steps (much like making lasagna), until dish is to your desired depth. Top with more cheese and bake in 350º oven until top is browned and sauce is bubbly, about 25 min. Let rest for 1 min. Serve with more verde sauce and garnish with a little chopped cilantro.