I'm always on the lookout for the perfect chili. Trust me when I say it can be unimaginable! i think I may have gotten close with this one. All my favorite cuts of meat with a dash of beans, simmered in a Red-Style type of chili?! It's soooo damn good!
Gather up the chili ingredients:
- 1 Tbls paprika
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 4 Tbls chili powder (I used half New Mexico and half pasilla chili powder)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp oregano, crushed
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 4 strips Applewood bacon, diced
- 1 ½ lb. Tri Tip steaks, diced into ½" chunks
- 1 lb. boneless beef short ribs, diced into ½" chunks
- 1 large poblano pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 med. jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 2 Tbls tomato paste
- 1 - 12 oz. lager beer
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 - 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- ½ can - 14.5 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 packet beef broth booster, optional
- ½ can - 14.5 oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ can - 14.5 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
Mix all the dry spices in a bowl (Paprika though Aleppo), and set aside. In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, add olive oil and bacon and cook until rendered, about 5 min.
Season Tri Tip and short ribs with plenty of salt and pepper. Reserve crispy bacon with a slotted spoon and add Tri Tip and cook in batches until well-browned (About 3 min). Reverve to a plate to keep warm and add the short rib, again cooking until well browed and reserve to covered plate (About 3 min). Add onions, and cook for another 3 - 4 min. until translucent. Add minced garlic and jalapenos and cook for another 3 min. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Add spice mixture, stir and cook for a min. Stir in tomato paste and cook for another 2 min.
Deglaze with beer and reduce by a third. Add chicken stock and diced tomatoes, cover loosely and reduce heat to simmer for an hour. Add drained beans, cover loosely and continue to cook for 30 min. Remove lid, stir and cook until slightly thick and rich. Serve with some sweet corn bread (recipe below), topped with shredded cheese and a little sour cream.
For the Sweet Corn Bread:
- 1 ¼ cups AP flour
- ¾ cup corn meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ - 14.5 oz. can creamed corn
- ¼ cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 large egg
Preheat oven to 400º F
Add dry ingredients together in a large bowl, and blend. Mix milk, egg, creamed corn and shortening in another small bowl, until incorporated. Add wet ingredients to the dry, and blend until just combined. Pour mixture into greased 8" x 8" square pan, and bake for 25 - 30 min. until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in middle comes out with only a few crumbs. Let rest for at least 10 - 15 min. Serve warm with honey butter.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ½ Tbls honey
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
Mix ingredients in a small bowl, whip with whisk and set aside. Let chill slightly to thicken up.